MRTS Consulting and market research consultant Phil Todd have designed a research survey to look at the personal technology brands currently owned by Cambodian consumers.
The survey was implemented using MRTS Consulting’s proprietary online consumer panel. A total of 571 respondents completed the entire set of questions, allowing deeper analysis by demographics.
The report examines four key questions:
- What personal tech devices do young Cambodians own today?
- What brands of smartphone, tablet and smart watch do young Cambodians have today, and what brands to they aspire to own tomorrow?
- What will influence their next choice of tech brand?
- And what personal tech is on young Cambodians’ wish list?
Below are some of the key findings from the study:
Current tech ownership
Technology ownership varies significantly by type of device, but also by other criteria such as urban / provincial location, and age group.
Urban and provincial tech ownership
At a top level, our survey asked about 5 types of personal tech : mobile, tablet compute, laptop, smart watch, and fitness tracker before looking at phones, tablets and smart watches in more detail.
Mobile ownership is, as expected, ubiquitous – everyone owns a mobile phone. However for the other types of device we can see differences in ownership highlighting that tech ownership is very much an urban phenomenon.
Fig. 1 Urban Tech Ownership
Ownership of all other types of device is much greater in Phnom Penh than in the provinces
- Tablets are extremely common in Phnom Penh, with ownership at around 80% compared to just 45% in the provinces.
- Smart Watch ownership is close to tablet computers, with ownership in Phnom Penh at 71%.
- Laptop ownership while at just 37% in Phnom Penh, is a notably urban item as just 9% of respondents in the provinces own a laptop.
- Fitness trackers show extremely low penetration, with just 3% of respondents in Phnom Penh having one.
Tech ownership by age
If we look at how tech ownership varies by age group we can see immediately that there is a strong underlying trend for ownership to rise with age.
Fig. 2 Tech Ownership – by Age group
Leaving aside mobile phones which are owned by everyone,
- We can see that just less than half the under 25 year age group own a tablet computer and smart watch. Only 15% of this age group own a laptop computer.
- In the 25 – 29 year age group ownership of laptops, tablets and smart watches rise dramatically. Tablet ownership almost doubles to 85% and smart watch ownership rises from 44% to 72%. Laptop ownership more than doubles to 35%.
- The 30+ year age group shows the highest device penetration. Tablet ownership remains the same as the 25 – 29 year age group at 85% but smart watch ownership rises to 80%. Even laptop ownership rises, reaching 41%.
Get full report on – click